Learn how to easily generate subtitles in iMovie, a video editing software for Mac users. Follow this step-by-step guide tailored to beginner filmmakers and improve the accessibility of your videos.
How to Generate Subtitles in iMovie
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to generate subtitles in iMovie generally:
- Import media into iMovie
- Open iMovie and create a new project.
- Then, import the part of the video if you want to add a subtitles file.
- Click on the “Titles” tab and select “Subtitles”
- In the top toolbar, click on the “Titles” tab. You can choose the title style.
- From the list of titles that appear on-screen, select “Subtitles”.
- Drag and drop the subtitle to your video timeline
- Click and drag the subtitle to the point in the timeline where you want it to appear in your video.
- You can adjust the duration of the subtitle by dragging its edges.
- Edit subtitle’s text and format as desired
- Double-click the subtitle in the timeline to open the subtitle editor. Here, you can edit the subtitle’s text style, font color, size, and alignment.
- Adjust the duration and position of the subtitle as necessary
- Use the handles on the subtitle to adjust its duration and position in the video.
- You can also use the “Inspector” window to fine-tune the subtitle’s timing and position.
- Export your video with the subtitles added
- When you’re okay with the subtitles, you can export your video by clicking on the “Share” button in the top right corner of the iMovie window.
- You can share your video on social media channels directly and as a youtube video.
- Select the format such as .srt file or .vtt file and the quality you want and click “Export”.
How to Add Subtitles in iMovie on iPhone and iPad:
- Open iMovie on your iPhone or iPad and create a new project.
- Import the video if you want to add subtitles.
- Tap on the video clip in the timeline to select it, then tap the “+” icon.
- Select “Titles” from the menu that appears, and then choose “Subtitles”.
- Type in the text box for your subtitle and customize the font, size, and color as desired.
- Use the handles on the subtitle to adjust the duration and position of the subtitle in the video.
- Preview the video file to ensure that the subtitles appear correctly, then export the video to save your changes.
How to Add Subtitles in iMovie on Mac:
- Open iMovie on your MacBook and create a new project.
- Import the video if you want to add subtitles.
- Click on the “Titles” tab in the top toolbar, and then select “Subtitles”.
- Drag and drop the subtitle to the point in the timeline where you want it to appear in your video.
- Double-click the subtitle in the timeline to open the subtitle editor.
- Edit the subtitle’s text and format as desired, then use the “Inspector” window to fine-tune the subtitle’s timing and position.
- Preview the video to ensure that the subtitles appear correctly, then export the video to save your changes.
Why Should I Add Subtitles to iMovie?
Here are some reasons why adding subtitles is important in iMovie project:
- Accessibility: Subtitles make videos accessible to people with hearing impairments or who are watching videos in noisy environments.
- Language barrier: Subtitles allow viewers who don’t speak the language in the video to understand the content.
- Enhance understanding: Sometimes, the audio quality in a video may not be clear, or the speaker’s accent may be difficult to understand. Subtitles can help clarify the spoken content, making it easier for viewers to follow along.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): Including subtitles in videos can improve the SEO of the video, making it easier for people to find it through search engines.
- User engagement: Studies have shown that adding subtitles to videos can increase user engagement and workflow.
What Can I Do with iMovie?
Here are some things that a person can do by using iMovie:
- Edit videos: iMovie allows users to edit their videos easily by trimming, cutting, and arranging clips, adding special effects and transitions, and adjusting the color and sound.
- Create movie trailers: iMovie offers pre-made templates for movie trailers, making it easy for users to create high-quality and professional-looking trailers for their films.
- Add music and sound effects: With iMovie, users can add music and sound effects to their video content, making them more engaging and entertaining.
- Create animated titles and captions: iMovie offers a range of text tools that allow users to create animated titles tab, caption files, and generate subtitles for their videos.
- Share videos: Once edited, users can easily share their videos on various platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, and Facebook directly from iMovie.
Frequently Asked Questions
iMovie is a video editing software developed by Apple Inc. for macOS and iOS devices. It allows users to edit and organize their videos in a user-friendly interface, with a wide range of features that enable them to create high-quality videos. iMovie videos offer various editing tools such as trimming and cropping clips, adding special effects, transitions, and auto-generated/ automatic subtitles, and the ability to export videos in multiple formats.
Subtitles are texts created from the transcript or script of dialogue or commentary from films, television shows, video games, and so on. They are also known as captions. They are typically displayed in a pyramid-like fashion at the bottom of the screen. There are also other captions. Open captions are subtitles that are permanently burned into the video and cannot be turned off, while closed captions can be turned on or off by the viewer.
With iMovie, users can create professional-looking videos without having to be an expert as video editors. It is a popular choice for amateur and professional videographers, as well as students and educators. iMovie is exclusively available for Apple’s macOS and iOS, and iTunes platforms and is included free with new Apple devices.