Creating a zoom meeting transcription of a Zoom call is helpful for referring back to the discussion at a later date. However, generating an accurate zoom meeting transcription isn’t accessible if you don’t have the right software.
What are Zoom Meeting Transcripts?
A zoom meeting transcription is a text file of a meeting’s audio content. It also includes speakers and timestamps to help clarify points and make later references easier. However, an edited meeting transcript may cut out irrelevant statements or speakers to shorten the document.
Why Should You Transcribe Zoom Meetings?
There are numerous reasons why you should generate a meeting transcription . These include:
- Referencing or quoting the meeting’s discussion
- Giving people who missed the zoom meeting a way to catch up
- Using it as a source for marketing content, such as blog posts, podcasts, videos, and social media captions…
How to Transcribe a Zoom Meeting Manually?
Creating a zoom meeting transcription can take quite a long time if you choose to do it manually. The steps are as follows:
- Record the zoom meeting. All standard zoom accounts have local recording, but licensed accounts have cloud recording. Make sure your recording equipment works before the meeting starts.
- Listen to the recording. After the zoom meeting, listen through to the recording to ensure it’s clear. Do this not long after the meeting so you can double-check unclear parts while it’s still fresh.
- Start transcribing. On your next listen, start writing down what you hear. Don’t worry about making it too accurate at this point. Add a line break in the text every time you notice a new speaker.
- Edit and improve. Listen through again and begin to add punctuation and speakers. Continue relistening until you have a fairly accurate breakdown of the meeting.
- Add speakers and timestamps. Finally, add your speakers and timestamps. You can see what this looks like in the example below.
How to Transcribe a Zoom Meeting Automatically?
Manually transcribing a zoom meeting is a long-winded process due to how many times you need to listen to the file. For a simpler process, use an automatic transcription platform like Transkriptor .
It works as follows:
- Record your zoom meeting as normal.
- Uploaded the video/audio recording onto Transkriptor’s site and allow it to convert.
- Check the file over and make any necessary edits, such as clarifying words or changing punctuation.
- Once this is done, download the file in your desired text format.
An automatic transcription platform saves the repetitive effort required when creating a manual meeting transcription.
What is an Example of a Zoom Meeting Transcription?
A meeting transcription will look different depending on the format you use, but below is a standard example of what it should look like:
[00:00:10 Carol]: Hi, everyone. I hope you’re all well. Today, we’ll go over the sales numbers for the last week to see where we’re at. I’ll hand over to Stacey for this.
[00:00:35 Stacey]: Thanks, Carol. In short, sales have been a bit stagnant this week, but we reckon it’s probably because of the website glitches we’ve had over the last few days.
[00:00:59 Carol]: Yes, about that. Have we figured out what’s wrong?
[00:01:06 Stacey]: Yes, it’s nothing too serious. In theory, it should be sorted by tomorrow. Providing it is, we should see things pick back up within a week.
[00:01:24 Carol]: Great. Well, I’ll check back with you in a few days to make sure things are on track.
How is the Timestamp Given in a Standard Meeting Transcription?
The timestamp in a standard meeting transcription is given in the hour:minute:second format. In addition, this is to make it easier to reference specific sections without too much effort. Giving the speaker along with the timestamp is done for the same reason.
Frequently Asked Questions About Transcribing Zoom Meetings
To automatically transcribe a Zoom meeting, you need to have a licensed account. This allows you to create a cloud-based audio recording and use Zoom’s own automatic transcription feature.
The easiest way to transcribe an already recorded Zoom meeting is to use the automatic software. It should allow you to upload an audio or video recording of the meeting to create a text file.
The guaranteed way of transcribing a Zoom meeting for free is to do it manually. However, this process can take a long time and there’s no guarantee of it being accurate. A simpler way is to use a paid service, as this doesn’t need to cost a lot of money.