How to Dictate Text on Microsoft Word on Your Windows Device
To use the dictate in Microsoft Word, follow the steps below:
- Open a new or existing document, go to Home, and then click Dictation settings while signing into Microsoft 365 on a mic-enabled device.
- Wait for the Dictate button to turn on and start listening.
- Start speaking to see text appear on the screen.
- Insert punctuation (question mark, comma, full stop, exclamation mark, open quotes, close quotes, etc.) at any time by saying them explicitly.
- When finished, click the icon again to stop dictation.
How to Enable Dictation on Windows
- Click the Start button and then click Settings, designated by a gear icon.
- Choose Time & Language.
- In the navigation pane on the left, click Speech.
- If you’ve never set up your microphone, do it now by clicking Get started in the Microphone icon section. Follow the instructions to speak into the microphone, which calibrates it for dictation.
- Click Speech, inking, & typing privacy settings.
- Then slide the switch to On in the Online speech recognition section.
- Now, your device can recognize the speech, and you can start word dictation.
How to Dictate Text on Microsoft Word on Your Mac Device
- Open a new or existing document, and navigate to Home.
- Then click the Dictate Button, and be sure your device is allowed to dictate.
- Wait for the Dictate button to light up and begin listening.
- Begin speaking in order to see text emerge on the screen.
- Insert punctuation (question mark, comma, full stop, exclamation mark, etc.) at any time by saying them explicitly. Also, you can use auto punctuation.
- When you say your last word, click the icon again to pause dictation.
Turn on Dictation on Mac
- On your Mac, choose the Apple menu
- Go to System Settings, then click Keyboard in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down, and you can add a keyboard shortcut.)
- Go to Dictation on the right, then turn it on. If a prompt appears, click Enable.
- If you’re asked if you want to improve Siri and Dictation, you can choose one of the options listed below:
- Share audio recordings: Click Share Audio Recordings to allow Apple to store the audio of your Siri and Dictation interactions from your Mac. Apple may review a sample of stored audio.
- Don’t share audio recordings: Click Not Now.
- Click the Language pop-up menu to dictate using another language, then choose a language and dialect.
- Add an unlisted language: Choose Customize or Add Language, then select or add the languages you want to use.
- Remove a language: Click the Language pop-up menu, choose Customize, then deselect the language you don’t want to use.
What is Microsoft Word?
Microsoft Word is a widely used commercial word processor created by Microsoft. Microsoft Word is included in the Microsoft Office productivity suite but can also be purchased separately. You can dictate your voice in Microsoft Office apps such as Microsoft word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, etc., thanks to the new feature dictating tool.
What is Microsoft Word Used for?
MS Word enables users to do write-ups and create documents, resumes, contracts, etc. With Microsoft Word on your PC, Mac, or mobile device, you can do the followings:
- Create documents from scratch or a template.
- Add text, images, art, and videos.
- Research a topic and find credible sources.
- Access your documents from a computer, tablet, or phone with OneDrive.
- Share your documents and work with others.
- Track, format, and review changes.
Who Should Use Microsoft Word?
Everyone can use MS Word. However, there are some areas in which people should use MS Word. The following are the several fields in which MS Word is utilized to simplify an individual’s work:
- Students and Academicians: It is regarded as one of the most essential instruments available to both teachers and students. MS Word makes it easier to create notes because they can be made more interactive by adding shapes and graphics. Completing assignments in MS Word and submitting them online is very convenient.
- Businesspeople: MS Word makes it simple to submit letters and bills and create reports, letterheads, and sample documents.
- Authors: Because different options for bibliography, table of contents, and so on are available, it is the greatest tool for authors to utilize while authoring books and altering the layout and alignment to their liking.
How to create an MS Word document?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to create a new document in Microsoft Word:
- Open Microsoft Word on your device.
- Once Word has opened, go to the File menu (top left) and select ‘new’
- You will see some templates displayed as well as a ‘Welcome to Word’ learning guide but if you just want a plain document to work on, select ‘Blank document‘
- A new blank document will open up, ready for you
How to Dictate in Microsoft Word
With a microphone and a reliable internet connection, Dictation allows you to use speech-to-text to produce material in Office. It’s a quick and simple way to organize your thoughts, create drafts or outlines, and take notes. You can dictate words, punctuation, and specific actions, such as “new line” and “new paragraph.”
In this way, you do not spend time too much time typing. MS Word automatically types what you say fast.